Thursday, June 14, 2007

Safari Safari Safari : So far from the Windows ecosystem


(Safari crashed when I tried to report a bug)

While skimming through the Google news page, I was a bit puzzled to see the headline
Jobs has unveiled "Safari3 beta" yesterday for the windows and Mac flavors.

I was looking forward to check out the browser myself , well I succeeded downloading and installing the Safari browser easily without any bumps. As ever I opened a new tab to load Google ,the first thing I observed was that the font rendering was very thick and blurry.

Reporting a bug seemed quite easy and quick with the cool "bug" button the toolbar, perhaps they are themselves weren't quite sure about the quality.Then I went on opening a few pages (from:MSDN to:youtube) before I could realize the strength of the "safari.exe" process.It almost consumed 3/4 times more memory than Opera and grabbed 80% of my CPU resources while Opera still used only 5% for the load.

Apple claims that it is 2 times faster than IE and 1.6 times faster than FireFox, but the numbers against Opera weren't released yet? this testifies Opera as the fastest browser(forgive me FF attics).It is far behind Opera,FireFox and IE in feature offering (themes, widgets, speed dial, keyboard shortcuts, activeX support, lack of windows protocol support like minimizing, //stability// so on and forth).

Safari for windows has been my worst browser so far, with 3 crashes and the crux is that the browser crashed once when tried reporting a bug

Faulting application safari.exe, version 3.522.11.3, faulting module Safari.exe, version 3.522.11.3, fault address 0x000c2492.

For more information,
see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


These nasty bugs reveal that the just ported browser which not even qualifies to be a alpha release .Its just a piece of compiled code for windows platform, I ever wonder how the word "beta" means to different companies *with Google strengthening it and rest of the world (MS & Apple) diluting it*. From what I have read, there are several security flaws 4 DoS bugs and 2 remote execution vulnerabilities more details here

Finally Safari has shown its presence on windows with numerous flaws, if Safari is released with all these bugs unfixed then people have to whine.

No comments: